How should I do the yoga bridge pose?

Dawn Marcus
Neurology
The yoga bridge pose is a gentle backbend that opens the chest and stretches the abdominal wall.

Start from downward facing dog. Step forward, take a seat, and lie back on your mat. Put your feet flat on the mat, with your arms along your sides. Press down into your feet and hands, and lift your hips off the mat. Make sure your feet are hip-width apart. To intensify the posture, interlace your hands under your bridge. Hold for five breaths and release. Repeat twice.
The Woman's Fibromyalgia Toolkit: Manage Your Symptoms and Take Control of Your Life

The Woman's Fibromyalgia Toolkit tells readers what they need to know to take control of fibromyalgia symptoms. It includes step-by-step instructions for using effective non-drug treatments,...

Continue Learning about Yoga

Try Yoga to Lose Weight, Reduce Stress, and Fight Fibromyalgia
If you're not one of the 16 million Americans who have discovered that the corpse pose actually restores life and the sun salutation makes you cheery ...
What are some key benefits that I can expect from a regular yoga practice?
Beth OliverBeth Oliver
From a physical point of view, yoga will help bring symmetry to your body. By that I mean you will b...
Which Yoga Is Right for You?
Which Yoga Is Right for You?Which Yoga Is Right for You?Which Yoga Is Right for You?Which Yoga Is Right for You?
A guide to common styles, including Ashtanga, Bikram, Iyengar and Vinyasa.
Is Yoga or Meditation Better for Me?
Is Yoga or Meditation Better for Me?