How can I prevent injuries during yoga?

There are no negative side effects to yoga, but as with any exercise program, it's always possible to injure yourself, especially if you try to explore advanced postures before you are ready. While you are practicing yoga, always listen and respond to what your body is telling you. One of the fundamental concepts in yoga is nonviolence or "ahimsa," and it begins with the self. This mindfulness will help you reduce the chances of injury, and it's really at the heart of yoga.

At first, it's natural to feel a little sore, especially if you haven't been exercising lately. But if the soreness is severe or persists, talk to your instructor. If you feel pain in your joints, talk to your instructor right away. A reasonable amount of muscle soreness is normal; joint pain is not. If the joint pain persists, talk with your regular healthcare professional.

Continue Learning about Yoga

A Meditation to Find Compassion and Love
We all felt the tug at our hearts when we heard the news of Hurricanes Harvey, Irma and Maria. Thousands having to flee their homes and seek shelter s...
I cannot hold standing balance poses, what am I doing wrong?
Anne SpickerAnne Spicker
Modifications are key to learning to perform standing balance poses. I often cue my students to use ...
8 Yoga Poses for Strong, Sexy Legs
8 Yoga Poses for Strong, Sexy Legs8 Yoga Poses for Strong, Sexy Legs8 Yoga Poses for Strong, Sexy Legs8 Yoga Poses for Strong, Sexy Legs
Firm flabby thighs and get the toned legs you've always wanted with this simple yoga routine.
Which Type of Yoga Is Best for You?
Which Type of Yoga Is Best for You?