How can I prepare for yoga if I want it to help a certain health condition?

If you're thinking of trying yoga to help with a certain health condition, consider these suggestions to prepare:
  • Consult with your healthcare provider about your interest in using yoga to help manage your condition.
  • Find an experienced yoga instructor who knows how to modify poses to make them safer and more accessible for you. Talk to the teacher before signing up for the class, to make sure that the sessions will fit your needs. Some instructors are specially trained in therapeutic yoga.
  • Many types of yoga have been shown to be beneficial at preventing and managing health problems. Choose a class that lets you start slowly and gently.
  • To avoid injury, pay attention to how your body feels during poses. Do not push yourself or try to compete with what others in the class are doing.
  • There's no recommended frequency, but research shows effects from yoga with one-hour sessions, two or three times weekly, for 8 to 12 weeks. Daily practice -- even for just five minutes -- is very helpful.

Continue Learning about Yoga

Yoga to Change Your Habits
Yoga to Change Your Habits
Have you ever found yourself driving mindlessly home and when you arrive home you can’t recall how you got there? You were so wrapped up in your thoug...
How can I try yoga without participating in the spirtual aspect?
Michelle Carlson, NASM Elite TrainerMichelle Carlson, NASM Elite Trainer
Yoga can be incredibly beneficial to the physical. For those not wanting to participate in the spiri...
8 Yoga Poses for Strong, Sexy Legs
8 Yoga Poses for Strong, Sexy Legs8 Yoga Poses for Strong, Sexy Legs8 Yoga Poses for Strong, Sexy Legs8 Yoga Poses for Strong, Sexy Legs
Firm flabby thighs and get the toned legs you've always wanted with this simple yoga routine.
Can Yoga Help Teens Cope with Anxiety?
Can Yoga Help Teens Cope with Anxiety?