How should I do the forward bend yoga pose?

The forward bend opens up the lower back, lengthens the spine, and stretches the legs. When the spine is lengthened, it is easier for your body to distribute energy to all of your organs. Flexibility in the legs also enables greater range of motion. This posture also reduces stress, anxiety, depression, and fatigue by relieving tension in the spine, neck, and back.

Begin with your feet hip-width distance apart. Spread your toes and grasp the ground with your feet. Flex your quads and tuck your tailbone in. Raise your shoulders up and back. Take a deep breath in and then, as you breath out, reach down toward the ground. Stop at about 90 degrees and place your hands on your knees. Take another deep breath in and elongate the spine. Next, reach for your toes, allowing your neck to completely relax. Take five deep breaths here. On the last inhale, slowly raise your torso back to 90 degrees and place your hands on your knees. Exhale in this position, and on the next inhale, bring yourself back to a standing posture.

Continue Learning about Yoga

Yoga to Inspire Love and Community
Yoga to Inspire Love and Community
Last week I marched. I marched with thousands of others who also felt it was important to raise our voices in peaceful unification. No one expected it...
What are some key benefits that I can expect from a regular yoga practice?
Beth OliverBeth Oliver
From a physical point of view, yoga will help bring symmetry to your body. By that I mean you will b...
8 Yoga Moves for a Happier Mood
8 Yoga Moves for a Happier Mood8 Yoga Moves for a Happier Mood8 Yoga Moves for a Happier Mood8 Yoga Moves for a Happier Mood
Yoga Sun Salutation With Dr. Oz
Yoga Sun Salutation With Dr. Oz