How do I perform the downward facing dog pose in yoga?

Dawn Marcus
Neurology
The downward facing dog pose in yoga awakens the whole body. It lengthens your spine as you lift up through your tailbone, builds shoulder and arm strength, and provides calming.

Get down onto your hands and knees. Walk your hands forward while keeping them shoulder-width apart. Press into your palms, curl your toes under, and lift your hips up toward the ceiling. Your feet should be hip-width apart, and your gaze should fall between your feet. Be mindful to push forward through your hands while pressing back through your thighs to keep the weight of the body lifting up through the hips.
The Woman's Fibromyalgia Toolkit: Manage Your Symptoms and Take Control of Your Life

The Woman's Fibromyalgia Toolkit tells readers what they need to know to take control of fibromyalgia symptoms. It includes step-by-step instructions for using effective non-drug treatments,...

Continue Learning about Yoga

Yoga for Rebuilding Trust in Your Body
Yoga for Rebuilding Trust in Your Body
After a heart attack, it can be hard to regain trust in your heart, and for that matter, your entire body. Even though you may have overlooked the car...
What yoga pose should I do to open and release tension in my hips?
Hip-openers are a favorite of most yoga practicers, as you tend to store emotional trauma and st...
5 Yoga Myths Debunked
5 Yoga Myths Debunked5 Yoga Myths Debunked5 Yoga Myths Debunked5 Yoga Myths Debunked
Find out the truth about some of the most common yoga misconceptions.
Relieve Lower Back Pain With Yoga
Relieve Lower Back Pain With Yoga