How should I do yoga breathing exercises?

Yogi Cameron Alborzian
Alternative & Complementary Medicine

There are many different yoga breathing exercises that we can do when we commit ourselves to the yogic path. And often, people who attend classes at yoga studios will even be exposed to some of the more ambitious ones. But if you are new to yogic breathing, it is ideal for you to start simply and then develop a more advanced practice under the guidance of someone with significant knowledge about the yogic path.

I recommend you practice the full breath as the first step of your work in this area. The full breath is simply a breath that utilizes the full capacity of the lungs.

• From an upright seated position, inhale through the nose for a few seconds.
  • Then, exhale through the nose for twice as many seconds. This is one count.
  • As you inhale, allow your abdomen to expand--but don't force it out.
  • As you exhale, contract the abdomen so that it pulls back in about halfway.
  • Repeat this for several minutes.

This will get you started, and remember: many yogis of a highly advanced nature practice the full breath and perhaps only one or two other exercises their entire life.

Continue Learning about Yoga

Yoga for Rebuilding Trust in Your Body
Yoga for Rebuilding Trust in Your Body
After a heart attack, it can be hard to regain trust in your heart, and for that matter, your entire body. Even though you may have overlooked the car...
How should I do the forward bend yoga pose?
Kulreet Chaudhary, MDKulreet Chaudhary, MD
The forward bend opens up the lower back, lengthens the spine, and stretches the legs. When the ...
Which Yoga Is Right for You?
Which Yoga Is Right for You?Which Yoga Is Right for You?Which Yoga Is Right for You?Which Yoga Is Right for You?
A guide to common styles, including Ashtanga, Bikram, Iyengar and Vinyasa.
Try Yoga for Better Health
Try Yoga for Better Health