How do I perform the cat and cow pose in yoga?

Dawn Marcus
Neurology
The cat and cow pose in yoga gently stretches and awakens the spine.

Get down onto your hands and knees. Align your wrists under your shoulders, and align your knees under your hips. Inhale and lift your chest and tailbone to make the cow pose. Then exhale, drop your head, and round your back to make the cat pose. Repeat for five or more breaths.
The Woman's Fibromyalgia Toolkit: Manage Your Symptoms and Take Control of Your Life

The Woman's Fibromyalgia Toolkit tells readers what they need to know to take control of fibromyalgia symptoms. It includes step-by-step instructions for using effective non-drug treatments,...
The cat-cow pose combines two poses that incorporate movement with your breath. It increases flexibility in the spine, improves circulation, stimulates the digestive tract by massaging the organs, and reduces tension in the neck and shoulders. This posture invigorates the body and helps to nourish the spine.

Begin with your knees on the ground and place your hands down on the ground in front of you. Your knees should be directly below your hips and your hands should be directly below your shoulders. Start with your torso straight; as you inhale deeply, raise your chin and arch your back downward. Next, breathe out and allow your back to arch up into the air as far as it will allow as your head relaxes all the way down. Breathe in and repeat the two positions for five full breaths. Each movement is with the breath.

Continue Learning about Yoga

Overeating Help: A Benefit of Yoga
Overeating Help: A Benefit of Yoga
Wouldn't it be nice if, just once, you were able to say no to those office muffins or that second helping of Friday night pizza? Well, guess what? Yo...
Can yoga help teens cope with anxiety?
Dr. Robin Miller, MDDr. Robin Miller, MD
Got a moody teen? Downward dog may be the answer. A recent study found that high school students...
5 Yoga Myths Debunked
5 Yoga Myths Debunked5 Yoga Myths Debunked5 Yoga Myths Debunked5 Yoga Myths Debunked
Find out the truth about some of the most common yoga misconceptions.
What Yoga Poses Can Help Me with My Balance?