How can I prepare for a yoga class?

A yoga class requires little advance preparation. For the vast majority of people, yoga is an ideal way to improve overall health. Once you find a class, you can jump right in. However, you should be aware of a few things:
  • Wait at least two hours after eating before starting your yoga workout.
  • Don't worry about the "proper" outfit. Wear something comfortable that will allow you to move -- leotards or yoga pants are good choices for women, but you can wear a T-shirt and shorts, too.
  • Some instructors may not want you to wear baggy clothes because they want to be able to watch your form as you practice the postures. Also, baggy tops tend to fall up over the head during semi-inverted poses.
  • Most people practice yoga in their bare feet.
  • The time of day you practice depends not only on your schedule, but on your goals. In the morning, a yoga routine may energize you and prepare you for the day. That's the preferred time of day for many folks. In the evening, relaxing poses can lead to better sleep.
  • If you are concerned that you are not flexible enough to do yoga, remember that yoga allows you to work at your own pace within your own limitations. No one expects you to be able to do advanced postures right away -- or even ever. But the advantage is that yoga will make you stronger and more flexible.

Continue Learning about Yoga

Dr. Oz Sun Salutation Video
Dr. Oz Sun Salutation Video
Now you can do yoga at home with Dr. Oz! Just press Play, and get ready to join Dr. Oz in yoga's classic sun salutation sequence. This easy yoga routi...
What are some key benefits that I can expect from a regular yoga practice?
Beth OliverBeth Oliver
From a physical point of view, yoga will help bring symmetry to your body. By that I mean you will b...
Which Yoga Is Right for You?
Which Yoga Is Right for You?Which Yoga Is Right for You?Which Yoga Is Right for You?Which Yoga Is Right for You?
A guide to common styles, including Ashtanga, Bikram, Iyengar and Vinyasa.
Is Yoga or Meditation Better for Me?
Is Yoga or Meditation Better for Me?