I have a tight back and a friend tells me to try yoga, is this a good idea?

Yoga can be beneficial, but be cautious with any general group training. Supervision is limited and the curriculum is often "one size fits all." Sometimes what works for one person will not work for another. A one-on-one consultation is always more beneficial for an injury, nagging strain, or muscle tightness. However, if the yoga class is in your future, do these two things to attempt to alleviate your major symptoms:

1. Stop when you feel pain during class - listen to your body and don't rush through the exercises. Stay within your exercise level and remain comfortable so that you can gain the benefits of the stretch while allowing the increased range of motion to come slowly; and
  2. Document your symptoms and what you do in class. As time passes, you can start drawing some correlations between the various stretches and poses and what helps (or hurts) your body.

Continue Learning about Yoga

Yoga to Inspire Love and Community
Yoga to Inspire Love and Community
Last week I marched. I marched with thousands of others who also felt it was important to raise our voices in peaceful unification. No one expected it...
Does yoga help treat anxiety?
If life's got you feeling frazzled or blue, adjust your mood for the better by striking a few yoga p...
8 Yoga Moves for a Happier Mood
8 Yoga Moves for a Happier Mood8 Yoga Moves for a Happier Mood8 Yoga Moves for a Happier Mood8 Yoga Moves for a Happier Mood
Frequently Hunching Over? Do This Yoga Move