During Namaste, why is it important to lay on my right side?

"Namaste" literally translated means "I bow to you" and should be done at the beginning and the end of each yoga class, showing gratitude and respect.

You might have confused Namaste with "Savasana", the final relaxation at the end of every yoga class. Lying on the right side (or getting up from lying on your back by rolling over onto your right side) brings the heart on top, thereby regulating the pulse and preventing compression in the heart. It can increase the therapeutic effect of the pose. It is important to take time to end each yoga session with Savasana, so your body has time to assimilate and integrate all the new information that the asana practice provides. You always want to make sure you are comfortable lying down,so you can fully relax into the pose.

“Namaste” is a greeting that means “I bow to you” and is typically done at the beginning and end of a yoga class. “Savasana” is the final relaxation pose. In this pose lying on the right side (or getting up from lying on your back by rolling over onto your right side) brings the heart on top which is supposed to help regulate the pulse and prevent the heart from being compressed.

Continue Learning about Yoga

Try Yoga to Lose Weight, Reduce Stress, and Fight Fibromyalgia
If you're not one of the 16 million Americans who have discovered that the corpse pose actually restores life and the sun salutation makes you cheery ...
How do I practice yoga torso twists?
To perform the torso twist pose, follow these steps:Sit on the floor with your legs straight out in ...
7 Yoga Poses You Can Do on an Airplane
7 Yoga Poses You Can Do on an Airplane7 Yoga Poses You Can Do on an Airplane7 Yoga Poses You Can Do on an Airplane7 Yoga Poses You Can Do on an Airplane
These simple moves help keep you flexible when you travel.
Frequently Hunching Over? Do This Yoga Move