During Namaste, why is it important to lay on my right side?

“Namaste” is a greeting that means “I bow to you” and is typically done at the beginning and end of a yoga class. “Savasana” is the final relaxation pose. In this pose lying on the right side (or getting up from lying on your back by rolling over onto your right side) brings the heart on top which is supposed to help regulate the pulse and prevent the heart from being compressed.

"Namaste" literally translated means "I bow to you" and should be done at the beginning and the end of each yoga class, showing gratitude and respect.

You might have confused Namaste with "Savasana", the final relaxation at the end of every yoga class. Lying on the right side (or getting up from lying on your back by rolling over onto your right side) brings the heart on top, thereby regulating the pulse and preventing compression in the heart. It can increase the therapeutic effect of the pose. It is important to take time to end each yoga session with Savasana, so your body has time to assimilate and integrate all the new information that the asana practice provides. You always want to make sure you are comfortable lying down,so you can fully relax into the pose.

Continue Learning about Yoga

Yoga

Yoga

Yoga is powerful in relieving stress and aids in musculoskeletal strength. Stretching, deep breathing and toning boosts energy levels and benefits circulation and flexibility. Learn more from our experts about yoga.