Does yoga help treat depression?

Bust a few yoga moves and you'll reduce stress. A little stress is no problem, but regular, negative stress is definitely a big problemo. By raising levels of high-anxiety hormones and slashing levels of feel-good brain chemicals, chronic tension paves the blues boulevard to chronic depression. Just one yoga session raises levels of the depression-fighting brain chemical GABA (that's gamma-aminobutyric acid for you science geeks) by a whopping 27%.

Continue Learning about Yoga

Try Yoga to Lose Weight, Reduce Stress, and Fight Fibromyalgia
If you're not one of the 16 million Americans who have discovered that the corpse pose actually restores life and the sun salutation makes you cheery ...
What is the effect of yoga on arthritis?
Grant Cooper, MDGrant Cooper, MD
A gentle course of yoga or tai chi that focuses on excellent form and is practiced on a regular basi...
Which Yoga Is Right for You?
Which Yoga Is Right for You?Which Yoga Is Right for You?Which Yoga Is Right for You?Which Yoga Is Right for You?
A guide to common styles, including Ashtanga, Bikram, Iyengar and Vinyasa.
What Yoga Poses Can Help Me with My Balance?