Do I need to practice yoga in a hot room?

In yoga, we use breath and asana (postures) to create internal heat. The internal heat created through yoga practice will naturally soften and relax our muscles to create length as well as stability and strength. The benefits of yoga can be found in any room temperature when practiced properly. A safe, effective flow or vinyasa class will take students to the point of a healthy sweat (and then allow the body to cool slowly in the last part of the class).

No. Yoga can be performed at normal room temperature. Hot yoga is often called Bikram yoga.

The most common form of yoga in the West is technically Hatha Yoga. Modern Hatha Yoga does not take place in a hot room or emphasize many esoteric practices associated with ancient yoga but rather focuses primarily on the physical yoga postures or asanas. Some of the more popular asanas in the United States are named in Sanskrit, but their Western names include corpse pose, cobra, triangle, bridge, warrior, downward dog and upward facing dog.

Continue Learning about Yoga

Why There’s Always a Yoga Program Just Right For You
Recently, while standing in the checkout line at my local Whole Foods, I glimpsed the yoga magazines for sale, each one with a cover image that was in...
How do I perform the tree pose in yoga?
Debra Fulghum Bruce PhDDebra Fulghum Bruce PhD
The tree pose is great for improving concentration and practicing meditation, and also gives the add...
5 Yoga Myths Debunked
5 Yoga Myths Debunked5 Yoga Myths Debunked5 Yoga Myths Debunked5 Yoga Myths Debunked
Find out the truth about some of the most common yoga misconceptions.
Try Yoga for Better Health
Try Yoga for Better Health