Can I practice yoga if I'm taking medication for a health condition?

We always suggest you consult your doctor to understand what is safe while you are taking medication. There are certain postures that are contraindicated to particular conditions (for example, an inversion pose such as headstand is not recommended for people with high blood pressure). We encourage all students to be responsible for their health and safety, consult their doctor and to let the teacher know before class what their doctor has prescribed for them. Being well informed by all those involved in your health is the best course of action.

If you are taking medications, consult your treating for contraindications for exercise. Certain medications may affect the exercise response, such as heart rate and blood pressure and therefore might make exercise contraindicated.

Continue Learning about Yoga

Brain-Friendly Yoga
Brain-Friendly Yoga
Julia Roberts, Madonna, Colin Farrell and Dr. Mehmet Oz all do poses—yoga poses, that is. They aren’t alone: over 20 million other North Americans als...
Can yoga instruction help me learn deep breathing techniques?
Phillip Garrison Phillip Garrison
Yes, a good yoga instructor can help you learn how to perform deep breathing techniques. Several for...
Yoga Poses in 12 Easy Steps
Yoga Poses in 12 Easy StepsYoga Poses in 12 Easy StepsYoga Poses in 12 Easy StepsYoga Poses in 12 Easy Steps
Learn the correct moves for doing a simple Sun Salutation.
Yoga Sun Salutation With Dr. Oz
Yoga Sun Salutation With Dr. Oz