Can yoga help me recover from an injury?

Yoga has been proven to enhance joint range of motion elongate muscle tissue. Restrictions in muscle or joint tissue are a common cause of chronic injury. Depending on the nature of the injury and given clearance from your treating physician, yoga can be beneficial to injury recovery. It some cases certain types of exercises are contraindicated, so it is best to check with your health care provider first. 

Yoga has been prescribed for injury prevention and recovery since its very beginnings. It’s a powerful healing methodology. If your condition is such that you are working with a medical doctor, consult with your doctor first. Many doctors understand the benefits of yoga and may prescribe this as part of your recovery. There are specific classes designed around injury and recovery. If you discuss your injury with a teacher before class, they will help you to modify your practice to prevent further injury and guide you toward recovery. Please remember that it is always your responsibility to be well informed about any injuries you have and to inform your teacher before class.

Continue Learning about Yoga

Why There’s Always a Yoga Program Just Right For You
Recently, while standing in the checkout line at my local Whole Foods, I glimpsed the yoga magazines for sale, each one with a cover image that was in...
Is hot yoga safe for me to try?
Jonathan PenneyJonathan Penney
Bikram Yoga is a new craze in the yoga world. This form of yoga will elevate your body temperature a...
5 Yoga Myths Debunked
5 Yoga Myths Debunked5 Yoga Myths Debunked5 Yoga Myths Debunked5 Yoga Myths Debunked
Find out the truth about some of the most common yoga misconceptions.
Is There a Problem with the Downward Dog Position in Yoga That I Should Watch Out for?