How are yeast infections related to vaginal infections?

Every woman has a small amount of the yeast Candida albicans in the vagina. When there is an excess of this yeast, however, a vaginal yeast infection can occur. Vaginal yeast infections are very common among women. The symptoms include itching, redness and a thick, white discharge. Typically, no odor is present. Yeast infections are treated with antifungal medications, which can come in the form of a pill, cream or suppository. Yeast infections are just one type of possible vaginal infection; bacterial vaginosis, for example, is a vaginal infection caused by bacteria.

Continue Learning about Yeast Infections

Eliminate That Embarrassing Itch
Eliminate That Embarrassing Itch
Some itches are just too embarrassing to scratch. But if you've ever been, or currently are, bothered by an irritating itch "down there," you know how...
How do I treat my baby's yeast infection?
Intermountain HealthcareIntermountain Healthcare
Your baby's yeast infection can be treated as follows:To treat thrush in the baby’s mouth, the doc...
Should I talk to my doctor about my chronic yeast infection?
You should definitely talk to your doctor about your chronic yeast infection. If you are having recu...
What Are the Main Causes of Yeast Overgrowth in the Body?