Why is it common for pregnant women to get yeast infections?

If you're a woman, you have tiny organisms called yeast living on your skin and inside your vagina. Because your vagina is an acidic environment, the fungus typically does not grow mighty, and you generally aren't even aware those little buggers are hanging around down there.

But things can change when that acidic environment changes. In a non-pregnant state, medications such as antibiotics can change the pH of the vagina by decreasing the population of the protective lactobacillus bacteria, making you more susceptible to developing yeast infections. And in pregnancy, the increased amount of sugar in the vaginal secretions, which can also become less acidic, makes it easy for yeast to flourish.
YOU: Having a Baby: The Owner's Manual to a Happy and Healthy Pregnancy

Can I get a cavity filled while pregnant? Will avoiding spicy foods make my kid a picky eater? Can I really increase my baby's IQ while she's in utero? Whether you're pregnant for the first time,...

Continue Learning about Yeast Infections

Eliminate That Embarrassing Itch
Eliminate That Embarrassing Itch
Some itches are just too embarrassing to scratch. But if you've ever been, or currently are, bothered by an irritating itch "down there," you know how...
How do I know if I have yeast/fungal overgrowth?
Elizabeth Boham, MD, MS, RDElizabeth Boham, MD, MS, RD
If you have yeast or fungal overgrowth, symptoms include fatigue, recurring yeast infections or fung...
How can I manage a yeast infection when breastfeeding?
Intermountain HealthcareIntermountain Healthcare
You can deal with a yeast infection while breastfeeding by taking the following steps: Rinse your ...
How Do I Treat Yeast Overgrowth in the Intestines?