Why is it common for pregnant women to get yeast infections?

If you're a woman, you have tiny organisms called yeast living on your skin and inside your vagina. Because your vagina is an acidic environment, the fungus typically does not grow mighty, and you generally aren't even aware those little buggers are hanging around down there.

But things can change when that acidic environment changes. In a non-pregnant state, medications such as antibiotics can change the pH of the vagina by decreasing the population of the protective lactobacillus bacteria, making you more susceptible to developing yeast infections. And in pregnancy, the increased amount of sugar in the vaginal secretions, which can also become less acidic, makes it easy for yeast to flourish.
YOU: Having a Baby: The Owner's Manual to a Happy and Healthy Pregnancy

Can I get a cavity filled while pregnant? Will avoiding spicy foods make my kid a picky eater? Can I really increase my baby's IQ while she's in utero? Whether you're pregnant for the first time,...

Continue Learning about Yeast Infections