Why can't I get rid of thrush?

Thrush is a yeast infection of the mucus membrane lining of the mouth and tongue, or of the vagina. A small amount of the fungus that causes thrush, called Candida, normally resides in your mouth, and can become drug resistant. When your immune system is weak and less able to fight off infections, the fungus can grow, cause sores, and become difficult to treat.

Many people have weakened immune systems, including:
  • cancer patients receiving chemotherapy
  • people with HIV/AIDS
  • children, the elderly, and the ill
  • patients receiving steroid medications
Call your doctor if you have recurrent thrush. He or she may advise you to take antifungal medication on a regular basis.

Continue Learning about Yeast Infections

Eliminate That Embarrassing Itch
Eliminate That Embarrassing Itch
Some itches are just too embarrassing to scratch. But if you've ever been, or currently are, bothered by an irritating itch "down there," you know how...
Can candidiasis be prevented?
Sigma NursingSigma Nursing
Preventing candidiasis means taking care of your general health and cleanliness. Change out of wet s...
Should I talk to my doctor about my chronic yeast infection?
You should definitely talk to your doctor about your chronic yeast infection. If you are having recu...
How Does Sugar Consumption Relate to Yeast Overgrowth?