When can I resume sexual activity after a bladder and yeast infection?

Anthony L. Komaroff, MD
You should avoid sexual activity until you complete your treatment and your symptoms go away.

These infections are not considered sexually transmitted diseases, but they may make sex uncomfortable. Sexual activity may also increase the chance these infections will develop.

A bladder infection, also called cystitis, is a form of urinary tract infection. It occurs when bacteria grow in the normally sterile bladder. The bacteria may be present on the genital skin and gain access to the bladder during sex. If the bacteria are not flushed out quickly -- by staying well hydrated and urinating enough -- they start to grow and an infection starts. A simple urinary tract infection stays in the bladder and does not travel to the kidneys. This simple infection can often be treated with a three-day course of antibiotics. Take all the antibiotics, even after you start feeling better.

Yeast is commonly present in the vagina in small quantities. When it grows in large numbers, it causes an infection. This can include an itchy, thick, white discharge. Several factors can promote the growth of yeast. These include using antibiotics and wearing tight synthetic clothing. Antifungal medication such as Monistat usually provides relief when applied to the vagina for 3 to 7 days.

Continue Learning about Yeast Infections

Eliminate That Embarrassing Itch
Eliminate That Embarrassing Itch
Some itches are just too embarrassing to scratch. But if you've ever been, or currently are, bothered by an irritating itch "down there," you know how...
Does a chronic yeast infection affect children differently than adults?
Sigma NursingSigma Nursing
When a child gets a yeast infection it is usually in the form of a diaper rash. The symptoms are sim...
When should I call my doctor if I have vaginal yeast infections?
Most women have at least one vaginal yeast infection at some point in their life. This very common c...
How Do I Treat Yeast Overgrowth in the Intestines?