When should I call my doctor if I have vaginal yeast infections?

Most women have at least one vaginal yeast infection at some point in their life. This very common condition is caused by a fungus, called Candida or yeast. Under healthy conditions, growth of the yeast stays under control. But during times of stress or illness, the yeast can grow out of control, causing an infection. Some medications, such as antibiotics, can also lead to a yeast infection. Symptoms include vaginal itching, swelling, redness, pain and a thick white or watery discharge. If you have vaginal symptoms, see your doctor for a correct diagnosis before you start treating yourself. Often, women assume they have a yeast infection, when they actually have something else that needs different treatment. You should also see your doctor if your symptoms don't get better with treatment. Most women feel better within a few days of starting treatment.

Continue Learning about Yeast Infections

Eliminate That Embarrassing Itch
Eliminate That Embarrassing Itch
Some itches are just too embarrassing to scratch. But if you've ever been, or currently are, bothered by an irritating itch "down there," you know how...
Should I talk to my doctor about my chronic yeast infection?
You should definitely talk to your doctor about your chronic yeast infection. If you are having recu...
How can I tell a yeast infection from a sexually transmitted disease (STD)?
Sometimes it can be difficult to tell the difference between a yeast infection and a sexually transm...
What Are the Main Causes of Yeast Overgrowth in the Body?