When should I call my doctor if I have thrush (oral candidiasis)?

Thrush is a yeast infection in the mouth or esophagus. It's caused by overgrowth of a fungus, called Candida. People with weak immune systems, such as those with HIV or diabetes, have a higher risk of getting thrush. Symptoms include white patches in the mouth and on the tongue, easy bleeding, and pain and soreness in the mouth or when swallowing. If thrush is mild, eating yogurt or taking non-prescription acidophilus pills may be enough to kill the yeast. People with more severe cases are usually treated with antifungal mouthwashes, lozenges or medications. Call your doctor if you have white patches or sores in your mouth, trouble swallowing or painful swallowing, or if you have a weak immune system and any symptoms of thrush. In some cases, a yeast infection can spread into other parts of the body, such as the brain, joints or heart. So getting a correct diagnosis and treatment is very important.

Continue Learning about Yeast Infections