What are the symptoms of a yeast infection in a breastfeeding baby or mom?

Intermountain Healthcare
Sometimes a yeast infection can develop on the mother’s breast or in the baby’s mouth. Some yeast infections are noticeable only in the mother, and some are noticeable only in the baby. However, since the breastfeeding mother and the baby can reinfect each other, both mother and baby need medication.

In your baby: A yeast infection in a baby’s mouth is called thrush. Thrush may appear as white or grayish-white, slightly raised patches that look like milk curds on the tongue, throat, inside of the cheeks or the lips. These patches cling and will not wipe or rinse off easily. If they are wiped off, they leave the underlying tissue raw and possibly make it bleed. A yeast infection in your baby can also appear as a persistent diaper rash that may have red spots along the edges.

In you: Yeast infections can cause your nipples to crack, itch or burn. Nipples can become red, swollen and painful. Some mothers also develop breast pain.

Continue Learning about Yeast Infections

Yeast Infections

Yeast Infections

Vaginal yeast infection is the most common yeast infection. Men can get yeast infections too, and people with diabetes or compromised immune systems may also get yeast infections. Some are not genital infections, but can affect th...

e mouth or other parts of the body. Treatment is either a topical application or an oral medication. Learn more about yeast infections from our experts.

Important: This content reflects information from various individuals and organizations and may offer alternative or opposing points of view. It should not be used for medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. As always, you should consult with your healthcare provider about your specific health needs.