What are the main causes of yeast overgrowth in the body?

Elizabeth Boham, MD, MS, RD

Two of the main causes of yeast overgrowth in the body are the overuse of antibiotics and a poor diet. Watch as functional medicine expert Elizabeth Boham, MD, explains how chronic use of antibiotics and sugary foods contribute to yeast overgrowth.  

Amy E. Myers, MD
Family Medicine
The main causes of yeast overgrowth in the gut include taking certain antibiotics and medications, and a diet high in alcohol, sugar and carbs. Watch functional medicine specialist Amy Myers, MD, explain what causes yeast overgrowth in the body. 

Continue Learning about Yeast Infections

Eliminate That Embarrassing Itch
Eliminate That Embarrassing Itch
Some itches are just too embarrassing to scratch. But if you've ever been, or currently are, bothered by an irritating itch "down there," you know how...
How are yeast infections related to vaginal infections?
Every woman has a small amount of the yeast Candida albicans in the vagina. When there is an excess ...
Can yeast infections cause a skin rash?
There are several types of yeast infections. Two of the most common are vaginal yeast infections and...
How Do I Know If I Have Yeast/Fungal Overgrowth?