What causes a chronic yeast infection?

Kevin W. Windom, MD
OBGYN (Obstetrics & Gynecology)
The most common cause of chronic yeast infections is diabetes.  Diabetes causes an increase in the patient's blood glucose level, and this excess glucose (sugar) is what yeast thrives on.  Their is yeast all over are body; on our skin, in our scalp, and in the vagina.  This excess blood glucose level can cause yeast to overgrow in numerous places.  There are also some autoimmune disorders as well as some disorders that will decrease the patient's immune system such as HIV.  

Anything from being pregnant, overweight, or having diabetes, the excessive use of antibiotics and sexual intercourse, increase the risk of getting a yeast infection. Typically, yeast infections are caused by a fungus called Candida albicans, which is always present in the body and can take over in certain conditions, like those mentioned above. This form of Candida can be treated very simply. However, there are multiple forms of the yeast, and for some of the other forms, treatment may not be simple and you may be at risk for multiple attacks of this infection.

Continue Learning about Yeast Infections

Eliminate That Embarrassing Itch
Eliminate That Embarrassing Itch
Some itches are just too embarrassing to scratch. But if you've ever been, or currently are, bothered by an irritating itch "down there," you know how...
How are yeast infections related to vaginal infections?
Sigma NursingSigma Nursing
Every woman has a small amount of the yeast Candida albicans in the vagina. When there is an excess ...
When should I call my doctor if I have vaginal yeast infections?
Most women have at least one vaginal yeast infection at some point in their life. This very common c...
How Do I Treat Yeast Overgrowth in the Intestines?