What causes candidiasis?

Eva B. Cwynar, MD
Candida, an overgrowth of a yeastlike fungus that may thrive in the intestinal tract, mouth, skin, and vagina, can be caused by long-term antibiotic use, too much alcohol, and chronic stress, which suppresses the immune system. In fact, any time you are ill, your immune system is temporarily compromised, and candida can easily take the opportunity to proliferate.
The Fatigue Solution: Increase Your Energy in Eight Easy Steps

Every day, all over the world, millions of women are grappling with many of the same mind and body issues: low sex drive, weight gain, sexual dissatisfaction, chronic stress, anxiety,...

Candidiasis is caused by overgrowth of a fungus, usually Candida albicans. This fungus occurs normally in the body and is usually kept in check by beneficial bacteria and a healthy immune system. When immunity is suppressed, either by antibiotics or immune dysfunction, the fungus can infect body tissues. People with healthy immunity can get candidiasis infections, but they occur more commonly in people with conditions such as AIDS, cancer, and diabetes.

Continue Learning about Yeast Infections

Eliminate That Embarrassing Itch
Eliminate That Embarrassing Itch
Some itches are just too embarrassing to scratch. But if you've ever been, or currently are, bothered by an irritating itch "down there," you know how...
How are yeast infections related to vaginal infections?
Sigma NursingSigma Nursing
Every woman has a small amount of the yeast Candida albicans in the vagina. When there is an excess ...
Can yeast infections cause a skin rash?
There are several types of yeast infections. Two of the most common are vaginal yeast infections and...
How Do I Know If I Have Yeast/Fungal Overgrowth?