How does sugar consumption relate to yeast overgrowth?

Elizabeth Boham, MD, MS, RD

Sugary foods that are high in refined and simple carbohydrates can feed the yeast in the body and cause it to overgrow. Watch as functional medicine expert Elizabeth Boham, MD, shares some high-sugar foods that could contribute to yeast overgrowth. 

Jacob Teitelbaum
Integrative Medicine
When you eat too much sugar, yeast get the upper hand, suppressing your immune system and increasing the chances of “leaky gut.” When your gut walls are not intact, undigested protein gets into the bloodstream. Your immune system goes into high alert, fighting incompletely digested food, which it mistakes as “invaders.” Once yeast overgrows in your gut, it can produce a chain reaction of problems, including intense sugar cravings, fatigue and moodiness, chronic sinusitis, spastic colon, allergies, and even chronic fatigue syndrome and fibromyalgia. It’s a high price to pay for satisfying that sweet tooth. The good news is, you can feel good, heal your body, and still enjoy foods you love.
Beat Sugar Addiction Now!: The Cutting-Edge Program That Cures Your Type of Sugar Addiction and Puts You on the Road to Feeling Great - and Losing Weight!

The No-Fail Plan to Beating Sugar Addiction! With one-third of our calories coming from sugar and white flour added to processed foods, sugar addiction is a rapidly growing epidemic. However, unlike...

Continue Learning about Yeast Infections

Eliminate That Embarrassing Itch
Eliminate That Embarrassing Itch
Some itches are just too embarrassing to scratch. But if you've ever been, or currently are, bothered by an irritating itch "down there," you know how...
How can I manage a yeast infection when breastfeeding?
Intermountain HealthcareIntermountain Healthcare
You can deal with a yeast infection while breastfeeding by taking the following steps: Rinse your ...
How do I know if I have yeast/fungal overgrowth?
Elizabeth Boham, MD, MS, RDElizabeth Boham, MD, MS, RD
If you have yeast or fungal overgrowth, symptoms include fatigue, recurring yeast infections or fung...
How Do I Treat Yeast Overgrowth in the Intestines?