What are the signs of a vaginal yeast infection (vulvovaginal candidiasis)?

The most common symptom of a yeast infection is extreme itchiness in and around the vagina.

Other symptoms include:
  • Burning, redness, and swelling of the vagina and the vulva, pain when passing urine, pain during sex, soreness, a thick, white vaginal discharge that looks like cottage cheese and does not have a bad smell, and a rash on the vagina.
  • You may only have a few of these symptoms. They may be mild or severe.
This answer is based on source information from the National Women's Health Information Center.

Continue Learning about Yeast Infections

Eliminate That Embarrassing Itch
Eliminate That Embarrassing Itch
Some itches are just too embarrassing to scratch. But if you've ever been, or currently are, bothered by an irritating itch "down there," you know how...
How does sugar consumption relate to yeast overgrowth?
Elizabeth Boham, MD, MS, RDElizabeth Boham, MD, MS, RD
Sugary foods that are high in refined and simple carbohydrates can feed the yeast in the body and ca...
How can I tell a yeast infection from a sexually transmitted disease (STD)?
Sometimes it can be difficult to tell the difference between a yeast infection and a sexually transm...
How Do I Know If I Have Yeast/Fungal Overgrowth?