What should I do if I get repeated yeast infections?

Kevin W. Windom, MD
OBGYN (Obstetrics & Gynecology)
Patients who I see in my office who have recurrent yeast infections should be checked for other problems.  Yeast usually grows by sugar, and patients who have diabetes can have recurrent yeast infections.  Other patients with sexually transmitted infections or HIV can also have problems with recurrent yeast infections.  If a patient is having recurrent yeast infections and has been treating these at home and is continuing to have problems, once I have ruled out diabetes and any other major medical problems, it is very important to analyze her diet and see if there are dietary changes that can help decrease the recurrence of her infections.

Call your doctor. About 5 percent of women get four or more vaginal yeast infections in 1 year. This is called recurrent vulvovaginal candidiasis (RVVC). RVVC is more common in women with diabetes or weak immune systems. Doctors most often treat this problem with antifungal medicine for up to 6 months.

This answer is based on source information from  the National Women's Health Information Center.

Continue Learning about Yeast Infections

Eliminate That Embarrassing Itch
Eliminate That Embarrassing Itch
Some itches are just too embarrassing to scratch. But if you've ever been, or currently are, bothered by an irritating itch "down there," you know how...
Does a chronic yeast infection affect children differently than adults?
Sigma NursingSigma Nursing
When a child gets a yeast infection it is usually in the form of a diaper rash. The symptoms are sim...
How do I treat my baby's yeast infection?
Intermountain HealthcareIntermountain Healthcare
Your baby's yeast infection can be treated as follows:To treat thrush in the baby’s mouth, the doc...
How Do I Treat Yeast Overgrowth in the Intestines?