How is oral thrush related to chronic yeast infections?

Oral thrush is a yeast infection of the mouth and is caused by the organism Candida albicans. It is most common in babies and people who wear poorly fitting dentures, but anyone can get it. If not treated while pregnant, mothers can pass a yeast infection on to their babies during childbirth. It is minor, as is a vaginal yeast infection; however, it can also become difficult to treat if the affected person is immunocompromised, has uncontrolled diabetes, or is taking antibiotics.

Oral thrush is a yeast infection and may have an acute state and a chronic stage. The acute stage is usually associated with pain or burning and there is a superficial sore. If untreated, the acute stage may advance into a chronic stage with pain, burning, and redness. The chronic stage is often associated with denture wear, mouth-guard wear, and systemic diseases such as diabetes.

Continue Learning about Yeast Infections

Eliminate That Embarrassing Itch
Eliminate That Embarrassing Itch
Some itches are just too embarrassing to scratch. But if you've ever been, or currently are, bothered by an irritating itch "down there," you know how...
How can I tell a yeast infection from a sexually transmitted disease (STD)?
Sometimes it can be difficult to tell the difference between a yeast infection and a sexually transm...
How can I manage a yeast infection when breastfeeding?
Intermountain HealthcareIntermountain Healthcare
You can deal with a yeast infection while breastfeeding by taking the following steps: Rinse your ...
How Do I Treat Yeast Overgrowth in the Intestines?