How is oral thrush related to chronic yeast infections?

Oral thrush is a yeast infection and may have an acute state and a chronic stage. The acute stage is usually associated with pain or burning and there is a superficial sore. If untreated, the acute stage may advance into a chronic stage with pain, burning, and redness. The chronic stage is often associated with denture wear, mouth-guard wear, and systemic diseases such as diabetes.

Oral thrush is a yeast infection of the mouth and is caused by the organism Candida albicans. It is most common in babies and people who wear poorly fitting dentures, but anyone can get it. If not treated while pregnant, mothers can pass a yeast infection on to their babies during childbirth. It is minor, as is a vaginal yeast infection; however, it can also become difficult to treat if the affected person is immunocompromised, has uncontrolled diabetes, or is taking antibiotics.

Continue Learning about Yeast Infections

Eliminate That Embarrassing Itch
Eliminate That Embarrassing Itch
Some itches are just too embarrassing to scratch. But if you've ever been, or currently are, bothered by an irritating itch "down there," you know how...
When should I call my doctor if I have vaginal yeast infections?
Most women have at least one vaginal yeast infection at some point in their life. This very common c...
What are the symptoms of a yeast infection in a breastfeeding baby or mom?
Intermountain HealthcareIntermountain Healthcare
Sometimes a yeast infection can develop on the mother’s breast or in the baby’s mouth. Some yeast ...
What Are the Main Causes of Yeast Overgrowth in the Body?