What are natural treatments for Candida?

Kevin W. Windom, MD
OBGYN (Obstetrics & Gynecology)
Candida is another word for yeast.  There are many natural treatments for candida.  I tell my patients who have recurrent vaginal yeast infections that they should decrease their carbohydrate intake as well as stop eating any type of simple sugars (such as candy or sodas). Yeast grows by sugar, and  by decreasing carbs and sugar, this will help decrease the chance of yeast to grow.  Other natural treatments are the daily use of acidophilus.  Acidophilus is a probiotic that will help increase the natural bacterial flora in the vagina, and the more good bacteria that you have in your system and in your vagina will help deter yeast from overgrowing.  Some patients swear by placing yogurt in their vagina to treat a yeast infection.  It sounds very messy to me.

Continue Learning about Yeast Infections

Eliminate That Embarrassing Itch
Eliminate That Embarrassing Itch
Some itches are just too embarrassing to scratch. But if you've ever been, or currently are, bothered by an irritating itch "down there," you know how...
When should I call my doctor if I have vaginal yeast infections?
Most women have at least one vaginal yeast infection at some point in their life. This very common c...
What are the main causes of yeast overgrowth in the body?
Amy E. Myers, MDAmy E. Myers, MD
The main causes of yeast overgrowth in the gut include taking certain antibiotics and medications, a...
How Do I Treat Yeast Overgrowth in the Intestines?