Is it safe to use over-the-counter medicines for yeast infections?

Kevin W. Windom, MD
OBGYN (Obstetrics & Gynecology)
Yes, it is very safe to use over-the-counter medications for yeast infections.  Most of the over-the-counter medications are just milder dosages of prescription medications.  When patients are using over-the-counter medications, I believe that a 3-night course is much better than the one night treatment.  Many patients that use the one night treatment get partial cure, but the infection comes back; and that is the reason I believe a longer treatment is necessary.  If after the 3-night treatment the patient is not better, then she is to call my office for an evaluation.  Many patients will want to call the office to obtain a 1-day pill of fluconazole to rid themselves of an infection.  This is a very efficient and good way to remedy a vaginal yeast infection.  The problem is that this medication taken over long periods of time can cause liver problems as well as there is a possibility that the yeast could build up a resistance, and this stronger more resistant yeast infection could be very difficult to treat in the future.

Continue Learning about Yeast Infections

Eliminate That Embarrassing Itch
Eliminate That Embarrassing Itch
Some itches are just too embarrassing to scratch. But if you've ever been, or currently are, bothered by an irritating itch "down there," you know how...
When should I call my doctor if I have vaginal yeast infections?
Most women have at least one vaginal yeast infection at some point in their life. This very common c...
How do I treat my baby's yeast infection?
Infant yeast infection should be treated with a topical antifungal medicine such as nystatin four ti...
What Are the Main Causes of Yeast Overgrowth in the Body?