How do medications treat a chronic yeast infection?

Antifungal creams are applied directly to the vaginal area, while suppositories are inserted into the vagina. Oral tablets are also available to take by mouth. These forms of antifungal medications can usually treat a simple yeast infection that is commonly caused by Candida albicans with no problems. Prescription creams and oral antifungal medications, taken over a longer period of time are necessary to treat chronic yeast infections.

Continue Learning about Yeast Infections

Eliminate That Embarrassing Itch
Eliminate That Embarrassing Itch
Some itches are just too embarrassing to scratch. But if you've ever been, or currently are, bothered by an irritating itch "down there," you know how...
How does sugar consumption relate to yeast overgrowth?
Elizabeth Boham, MD, MS, RDElizabeth Boham, MD, MS, RD
Sugary foods that are high in refined and simple carbohydrates can feed the yeast in the body and ca...
Can yeast infections cause a skin rash?
There are several types of yeast infections. Two of the most common are vaginal yeast infections and...
How Do I Know If I Have Yeast/Fungal Overgrowth?