How long will I have to use medication for my chronic yeast infection?

Patricia Geraghty, NP
Women's Health
Some women feel as if their yeast infection simply never clears up. Having an infection with symptoms 4 or more times a year is considered recurrent yeast infection. There is no strong agreement on how best to manage this troublesome situation. Some regimens that have been considered are a longer dose of oral anti-fungal tablet fluconazole, repeated dosing of fluconazole on a weekly schedule, or using a boric acid suppository. This last treatment needs to be specially made by a pharmacist with compounding license. Recurrent yeast infection should be monitored and treated by your licensed healthcare clinician.

For a chronic yeast infection your doctor will probably prescribe a dose of antifungal cream or ointment for up to 14 days. Alternatively he might prescribe a one time dose of fluconazole, which works just as well as all the vaginal ointments and creams. However, several doses of medication may have to be taken in hard to treat cases. A maintenance regimen may also be started to keep the infection from recurring. This is usually done once the first infection is gone.

Continue Learning about Yeast Infections

Eliminate That Embarrassing Itch
Eliminate That Embarrassing Itch
Some itches are just too embarrassing to scratch. But if you've ever been, or currently are, bothered by an irritating itch "down there," you know how...
When should I call my doctor if I have vaginal yeast infections?
Most women have at least one vaginal yeast infection at some point in their life. This very common c...
What are the main causes of yeast overgrowth in the body?
Elizabeth Boham, MD, MS, RDElizabeth Boham, MD, MS, RD
Two of the main causes of yeast overgrowth in the body are the overuse of antibiotics and a poor die...
How Do I Treat Yeast Overgrowth in the Intestines?