Is a chronic yeast infection serious?

Kevin W. Windom, MD
OBGYN (Obstetrics & Gynecology)
Yes, chronic yeast infections are very serious in the fact that they could be the outward symptoms of a more serious systemic illness.  The most common illness that is seen with chronic yeast infections is diabetes.  Many patients are first diagnosed with their diabetes due to their chronic yeast infections.  Other times, the candida fungus can then get in the patient's blood stream causing severe fatigue syndrome as well as rashes on other parts of the body.  If you do suspect that you have chronic yeast, there are treatments with antifungal medications as well as dietary changes that can help with this problem, but first, you must make sure that you do not have an underlying medical illness that is causing depression of your immune system causing you to have this chronic yeast infection.

A yeast infection that responds to medication is not serious and will allow you to live a normal life. A chronic yeast infection, although also not serious, can put a constraint on otherwise normal activities. Sexual intercourse, for example, is something that might have to be avoided due to pain and this may lead a woman to feel unattractive and undesirable.

Continue Learning about Yeast Infections

Eliminate That Embarrassing Itch
Eliminate That Embarrassing Itch
Some itches are just too embarrassing to scratch. But if you've ever been, or currently are, bothered by an irritating itch "down there," you know how...
How does sugar consumption relate to yeast overgrowth?
Elizabeth Boham, MD, MS, RDElizabeth Boham, MD, MS, RD
Sugary foods that are high in refined and simple carbohydrates can feed the yeast in the body and ca...
When should I call my doctor if I have vaginal yeast infections?
Most women have at least one vaginal yeast infection at some point in their life. This very common c...
How Does Sugar Consumption Relate to Yeast Overgrowth?