How is a vaginal yeast infection diagnosed?

IIt isn't very difficult to diagnose a vaginal yeast infection. A doctor can diagnose a vaginal yeast infection with just a microscope or a simple lab test.
Kevin W. Windom, MD
OBGYN (Obstetrics & Gynecology)
A vaginal yeast infection is usually diagnosed by the patient when she notices a thick, cottage cheese discharge and significant itching.  Most yeast infections are treated with over-the-counter medications, and the patient never seeks medical attention.  When the patient seeks medical attention and I examine the patient, I look for the same signs and symptoms.  If the scenario is somewhat confusing, then vaginal cultures are necessary to help diagnose this problem.

Your doctor will do a pelvic exam to look for swelling and discharge. Your doctor may also use a swab to take a fluid sample from your vagina. A quick look with a microscope or a lab test will show if yeast is causing the problem.

This answer is based on source information from the National Women's Health Information Center.

Continue Learning about Yeast Infections

Eliminate That Embarrassing Itch
Eliminate That Embarrassing Itch
Some itches are just too embarrassing to scratch. But if you've ever been, or currently are, bothered by an irritating itch "down there," you know how...
How can I tell a yeast infection from a sexually transmitted disease (STD)?
Sometimes it can be difficult to tell the difference between a yeast infection and a sexually transm...
What are the main causes of yeast overgrowth in the body?
Amy E. Myers, MDAmy E. Myers, MD
The main causes of yeast overgrowth in the gut include taking certain antibiotics and medications, a...
How Do I Know If I Have Yeast/Fungal Overgrowth?