How is a vaginal yeast infection diagnosed?

Your doctor will do a pelvic exam to look for swelling and discharge. Your doctor may also use a swab to take a fluid sample from your vagina. A quick look with a microscope or a lab test will show if yeast is causing the problem.

This answer is based on source information from the National Women's Health Information Center.

Kevin W. Windom, MD
OBGYN (Obstetrics & Gynecology)
A vaginal yeast infection is usually diagnosed by the patient when she notices a thick, cottage cheese discharge and significant itching.  Most yeast infections are treated with over-the-counter medications, and the patient never seeks medical attention.  When the patient seeks medical attention and I examine the patient, I look for the same signs and symptoms.  If the scenario is somewhat confusing, then vaginal cultures are necessary to help diagnose this problem.
IIt isn't very difficult to diagnose a vaginal yeast infection. A doctor can diagnose a vaginal yeast infection with just a microscope or a simple lab test.

Continue Learning about Yeast Infections

Eliminate That Embarrassing Itch
Eliminate That Embarrassing Itch
Some itches are just too embarrassing to scratch. But if you've ever been, or currently are, bothered by an irritating itch "down there," you know how...
How does a yeast infection affect onycholysis?
A yeast infection can both cause and aggravate a case of onycholysis. When the yeast infection cause...
What are the symptoms of a yeast infection in a breastfeeding baby or mom?
Intermountain HealthcareIntermountain Healthcare
Sometimes a yeast infection can develop on the mother’s breast or in the baby’s mouth. Some yeast ...
How Do I Treat Yeast Overgrowth in the Intestines?