How can I prevent vaginal yeast infections?

Jennifer Landa, MD
OBGYN (Obstetrics & Gynecology)

Ways to avoid vaginal yeast infections include lowering sugar intake in the diet, taking probiotics, avoiding moist environments like wet swim suits - and sleeping commando! Watch as sexual health expert Jen Landa, MD, provides some helpful ideas. 

Yeast infections can be as annoying as they are itchy, so that's why you should take precautions to keep them from developing (though they are quite common). These tips will help.
  1. Avoid tight-fitting or synthetic-fiber clothes (wear cotton panties instead); you should also avoid pantyhose. The tightness increases the likelihood that the area becomes a breeding ground for the bacteria.
  2. Use a blow dryer on a low, cool setting to dry your genital area after a shower or after sweating (and change out of wet clothes immediately). Bacteria like things wet. Spurn them by giving them a Sahara-like setting.
  3. Wipe from front to back to prevent bacteria from your rectum from making the journey from the back of the bus to the front.

YOU: Having a Baby: The Owner's Manual to a Happy and Healthy Pregnancy

Can I get a cavity filled while pregnant? Will avoiding spicy foods make my kid a picky eater? Can I really increase my baby's IQ while she's in utero? Whether you're pregnant for the first time,...

Continue Learning about Yeast Infections