How do medications treat candidiasis?

Topical antifungals, including clotrimazole and nystatin, are used to treat less severe cases of candidiasis by killing the underlying fungus. Some of these medications are available without a prescription. More serious or recurring candidiasis may need treatment with fluconazole, an antifungal taken orally, or regular use of clotrimazole. Amphotericin B is an antifungal injection used to treat candidiasis of the esophagus and other more serious forms. Other injectable antifungal drugs include anidulafungin and voriconazole.

Continue Learning about Yeast Infections

Eliminate That Embarrassing Itch
Eliminate That Embarrassing Itch
Some itches are just too embarrassing to scratch. But if you've ever been, or currently are, bothered by an irritating itch "down there," you know how...
How can I tell a yeast infection from a sexually transmitted disease (STD)?
Sometimes it can be difficult to tell the difference between a yeast infection and a sexually transm...
How do I treat yeast overgrowth in the intestines?
Amy E. Myers, MDAmy E. Myers, MD
Yeast overgrowth is treated by changing your diet, taking herbal supplements, and also with prescrip...
How Do I Treat Yeast Overgrowth in the Intestines?