How can I manage a yeast infection when breastfeeding?

You can deal with a yeast infection while breastfeeding by taking the following steps:
  • Rinse your nipples with warm, clear water after breastfeeding. A water and vinegar mixture may be even more effective than plain water. Mix 1 tablespoon vinegar in 1 cup of water. Pat your nipple dry with a soft towel when you’re done. Do not rub your milk into your nipples. Yeast thrives on the natural sugars in mother’s milk.
  • Apply a thin layer of antifungal cream to your nipples and areola after each feeding for 14 days, or as otherwise instructed by your doctor. Usually the cream is absorbed into the skin between feedings. However, if you notice any extra cream, remove it with a wet cotton ball before breastfeeding.
  • Since yeast thrives in a dark, moist environment, change your breast pads or bra whenever they become wet with milk. Use cotton bras and breast pads (without waterproof linings) because they allow air to reach the nipples.
  • Wash your bras, nightclothes, sheets, towels and washcloths in hot water daily.
  • Wash your hands after you use the bathroom or change your baby’s diaper.
  • If you’re expressing your milk, you can still feed freshly expressed milk to your baby. However, because of the risk of re-infection, it may not be wise to freeze the milk for later use.

Continue Learning about Yeast Infections

Eliminate That Embarrassing Itch
Eliminate That Embarrassing Itch
Some itches are just too embarrassing to scratch. But if you've ever been, or currently are, bothered by an irritating itch "down there," you know how...
How are yeast infections related to vaginal infections?
Sigma NursingSigma Nursing
Every woman has a small amount of the yeast Candida albicans in the vagina. When there is an excess ...
What are the main causes of yeast overgrowth in the body?
Amy E. Myers, MDAmy E. Myers, MD
The main causes of yeast overgrowth in the gut include taking certain antibiotics and medications, a...
How Do I Treat Yeast Overgrowth in the Intestines?