Should I call my doctor if I think I have a yeast infection?

If you think you have a vaginal yeast infection you should see your doctor. This is because other conditions may mimic a yeast infection and need to be investigated. If a yeast infection is confirmed, your doctor may recommend an over-the-counter medicine or provide prescription therapies.
Kevin W. Windom, MD
OBGYN (Obstetrics & Gynecology)
I tell my patients that if they have the classic signs of a yeast infection, which are thick cottage cheese discharge and significant vagina itching, they should consider trying an over-the-counter medication.  I always insist that they use a 3-night preparation to see the best results from their treatment.  If in fact the 3-night course does not work, they should call their doctor and probably be seen because there is a possibility that they could have another type of infection other than a yeast infection.  Diflucan is another treatment for a vaginal yeast infection, but this requires a doctors perscription.

Yes, you need to see your doctor to find out for sure if you have a yeast infection. The signs of a yeast infection are much like those of sexually transmitted infections (STIs) like Chlamydia (KLUH-mid-ee-uh) and gonorrhea (gahn-uh-REE-uh). So, it's hard to be sure you have a yeast infection and not something more serious.

If you've had vaginal yeast infections before, talk to your doctor about using over-the-counter medicines.

This answer is based on source information from the National Women's Health Information Center.

Continue Learning about Yeast Infections

Yeast Infections

Yeast Infections

Vaginal yeast infection is the most common yeast infection. Men can get yeast infections too, and people with diabetes or compromised immune systems may also get yeast infections. Some are not genital infections, but can affect th...

e mouth or other parts of the body. Treatment is either a topical application or an oral medication. Learn more about yeast infections from our experts.

Important: This content reflects information from various individuals and organizations and may offer alternative or opposing points of view. It should not be used for medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. As always, you should consult with your healthcare provider about your specific health needs.