Should I call my doctor if I think I have a yeast infection?

If you think you have a vaginal yeast infection you should see your doctor. This is because other conditions may mimic a yeast infection and need to be investigated. If a yeast infection is confirmed, your doctor may recommend an over-the-counter medicine or provide prescription therapies.
Kevin W. Windom, MD
OBGYN (Obstetrics & Gynecology)
I tell my patients that if they have the classic signs of a yeast infection, which are thick cottage cheese discharge and significant vagina itching, they should consider trying an over-the-counter medication.  I always insist that they use a 3-night preparation to see the best results from their treatment.  If in fact the 3-night course does not work, they should call their doctor and probably be seen because there is a possibility that they could have another type of infection other than a yeast infection.  Diflucan is another treatment for a vaginal yeast infection, but this requires a doctors perscription.

Yes, you need to see your doctor to find out for sure if you have a yeast infection. The signs of a yeast infection are much like those of sexually transmitted infections (STIs) like Chlamydia (KLUH-mid-ee-uh) and gonorrhea (gahn-uh-REE-uh). So, it's hard to be sure you have a yeast infection and not something more serious.

If you've had vaginal yeast infections before, talk to your doctor about using over-the-counter medicines.

This answer is based on source information from the National Women's Health Information Center.

Continue Learning about Yeast Infections

Eliminate That Embarrassing Itch
Eliminate That Embarrassing Itch
Some itches are just too embarrassing to scratch. But if you've ever been, or currently are, bothered by an irritating itch "down there," you know how...
What are the main causes of yeast overgrowth in the body?
Amy E. Myers, MDAmy E. Myers, MD
The main causes of yeast overgrowth in the gut include taking certain antibiotics and medications, a...
Can yeast infections cause a skin rash?
There are several types of yeast infections. Two of the most common are vaginal yeast infections and...
How Do I Know If I Have Yeast/Fungal Overgrowth?