Can I get a yeast infection from having sex?

Kevin W. Windom, MD
OBGYN (Obstetrics & Gynecology)
This is a debatable question.  It is thought that men who are uncircumcised can harbor candida in their foreskin, and this could increase the risks of giving their female partner a yeast infection.  When I discuss this with patients, it is rare that I see yeast infections being passed back and forth between sexual partners.  If a patient is noticing that she is having recurrent yeast infections after intercourse, it is important for her to seek medical attention because there could be more serious sexually transmitted infections that she is getting, and she just believes this is a yeast infection.

Yes, but it is rare. Most often, women don't get yeast infections from sex. The most common cause is a weak immune system.

This answer is based on the source infromation from the National Women's Health Information Center

Continue Learning about Yeast Infections