Can I get a yeast infection from having sex?

Kevin W. Windom, MD
OBGYN (Obstetrics & Gynecology)
This is a debatable question.  It is thought that men who are uncircumcised can harbor candida in their foreskin, and this could increase the risks of giving their female partner a yeast infection.  When I discuss this with patients, it is rare that I see yeast infections being passed back and forth between sexual partners.  If a patient is noticing that she is having recurrent yeast infections after intercourse, it is important for her to seek medical attention because there could be more serious sexually transmitted infections that she is getting, and she just believes this is a yeast infection.

Yes, but it is rare. Most often, women don't get yeast infections from sex. The most common cause is a weak immune system.

This answer is based on the source infromation from the National Women's Health Information Center

Continue Learning about Yeast Infections

Eliminate That Embarrassing Itch
Eliminate That Embarrassing Itch
Some itches are just too embarrassing to scratch. But if you've ever been, or currently are, bothered by an irritating itch "down there," you know how...
Can yeast infections cause a skin rash?
There are several types of yeast infections. Two of the most common are vaginal yeast infections and...
When should I call my doctor if I have vaginal yeast infections?
Most women have at least one vaginal yeast infection at some point in their life. This very common c...
How Does Sugar Consumption Relate to Yeast Overgrowth?