Does candidiasis affect women differently than men?

Both men and women may get some kinds of candidiasis; in the mouth, for example, candidiasis is known as thrush. People being treated for cancer, obese people, and diabetics are all more likely to suffer from candidiasis regardless of sex. But pregnant women and women with elevated estrogen levels can also be more susceptible to candidiasis. Vaginal candidiasis is fairly common, with about 75 percent of women having at least one vaginal yeast infection sometime in life. Uncircumcised men are also more susceptible to candidiasis.

Continue Learning about Yeast Infections

Eliminate That Embarrassing Itch
Eliminate That Embarrassing Itch
Some itches are just too embarrassing to scratch. But if you've ever been, or currently are, bothered by an irritating itch "down there," you know how...
Does a chronic yeast infection affect children differently than adults?
Sigma NursingSigma Nursing
When a child gets a yeast infection it is usually in the form of a diaper rash. The symptoms are sim...
What are the symptoms of a yeast infection in a breastfeeding baby or mom?
Intermountain HealthcareIntermountain Healthcare
Sometimes a yeast infection can develop on the mother’s breast or in the baby’s mouth. Some yeast ...
How Do I Know If I Have Yeast/Fungal Overgrowth?