Does a chronic yeast infection affect children differently than adults?

Diana Meeks
Diana Meeks on behalf of Sigma Nursing

When a child gets a yeast infection it is usually in the form of a diaper rash. The symptoms are similar in regards to redness, swelling, and pain. Candida, as in adult infections, may be the culprit that causes a diaper rash (it could also be from irritation or an allergic reaction). Additionally, wetness, acid from stools—particularly diarrhea—and diapers that are too tight can also add to the problem. Preventative measures include many of the same issues, such as keeping the child clean, dry and free of perfumed products. A persistent, raised, red rash with red dots beyond the edge of the rash may require an antifungal cream or ointment from the pediatrician.

Continue Learning about Yeast Infections

Eliminate That Embarrassing Itch
Eliminate That Embarrassing Itch
Some itches are just too embarrassing to scratch. But if you've ever been, or currently are, bothered by an irritating itch "down there," you know how...
Should I talk to my doctor about my chronic yeast infection?
You should definitely talk to your doctor about your chronic yeast infection. If you are having recu...
How do I treat my baby's yeast infection?
Infant yeast infection should be treated with a topical antifungal medicine such as nystatin four ti...
How Do I Treat Yeast Overgrowth in the Intestines?