Why did my physician request a resting radionuclide angiogram (RNA)?

A resting radionuclide angiogram (RNA) is a type of nuclear medicine procedure that evaluates the heart's chambers in motion. Reasons for your physician to request a resting radionuclide angiogram (RNA) include, but are not limited to, the following:
  • chest pain
  • shortness of breath
  • dizziness
  • fatigue
If a screening examination (such as an electrocardiogram or ECG) suggests a possibility of some type of heart disease process that needs to be explored further, a resting RNA may be performed.

There may be other reasons for your physician to recommend a resting RNA procedure.

Continue Learning about X-Ray Imaging

How do X-rays affect the body during interventional radiology procedures?
Society of Interventional RadiologySociety of Interventional Radiology
X-ray radiation is occurring all the time as a part of the natural background radiation in our envir...
How long does an x-ray take?
Brigham and Women's HospitalBrigham and Women's Hospital
Plain film radiography (x-ray) is safe, noninvasive, and quickly performed. The average exam tak...
Does radiation pass through the walls of radiology rooms?
The radiation emitted in medical procedures has a limited range and duration of effect, and the exte...
What should I ask my doctor about angiograms?
SecondsCount.orgSecondsCount.org
The following questions can help you talk to your physician about having an angiogram. Print out or ...