Why did my physician request a resting radionuclide angiogram (RNA)?

A resting radionuclide angiogram (RNA) is a type of nuclear medicine procedure that evaluates the heart's chambers in motion. Reasons for your physician to request a resting radionuclide angiogram (RNA) include, but are not limited to, the following:
  • chest pain
  • shortness of breath
  • dizziness
  • fatigue
If a screening examination (such as an electrocardiogram or ECG) suggests a possibility of some type of heart disease process that needs to be explored further, a resting RNA may be performed.

There may be other reasons for your physician to recommend a resting RNA procedure.

Continue Learning about X-Ray Imaging

How can x-ray help diagnose a spinal cord injury?
Luke Macyszyn, MDLuke Macyszyn, MD
X-rays are used primarily to assess bone integrity, not to diagnose a spinal cord injury. They can o...
What is the difference between radial and femoral angiography?
Dr. John C. Lipman, MDDr. John C. Lipman, MD
Angiography is the study of arteries and/or veins. Femoral and radial angiography refer to the point...
What is a barium swallow?
Barium swallow is the process of getting x-ray pictures of the esophagus or the upper gastrointestin...
Why might my baby need an X-ray in the NICU?
Intermountain Registered DietitiansIntermountain Registered Dietitians
An x-ray is the most common type of imaging scan. An x-ray can show the condition of the lungs a...