Why might I undergo an angiogram if I have a head or neck tumor?

If you have a head or neck tumor, your doctor may perform an angiogram to identify the blood vessels that feed your tumor. He or she can then access those blood vessels by catheter and close them off. This allows for a safer surgical excision of the tumor by minimizing the blood loss that may otherwise occur.

Continue Learning about X-Ray Imaging

When is an x-ray necessary?
Dr. Nancy Calsolaro SmulskyDr. Nancy Calsolaro Smulsky
X-rays are used to confirm and assist healthcare practitioners to make a diagnosis and to inform car...
What is an x-ray?
Brigham and Women's HospitalBrigham and Women's Hospital
X-rays use invisible electromagnetic energy beams to produce images of internal tissues, bones, ...
How are x-rays used to diagnose knee and hip problems?
Scott D. Martin, MDScott D. Martin, MD
A standard x-ray, the most commonly used imaging technique, gives a two-dimensional picture of t...
What is a skull X-ray?
A skull x-ray is a series of pictures of the bones that surround the brain, including the facial bon...