What are the side effects of iodine x-ray contrast agents?

A major improvement to the diagnostic accuracy of radiography has been the addition of contrast agents, which can be administered in a vein or instilled in a duct or hollow organ. A contrast medium contains relatively dense material of a high atomic number that absorbs more of the x-rays than the surrounding tissues, hence making the stomach, colon, or vessel appear white on the x-ray film. One can then look for structural changes such as polyps, stones, or ulcerations.

Some patients may experience a brief sensation of warmth, nausea, or a metallic taste in the mouth after the contrast medium injection. Other patients may experience itching, hives, or other effects. The technologist or nurse closely monitors all patients for any adverse drug events.

Continue Learning about X-Ray Imaging

How much radiation am I exposed to with an x-ray?
John Randolph Medical Center - HCA VirginiaJohn Randolph Medical Center - HCA Virginia
A chest x-ray exposes you to the equivalent of 10 days of background radiation.
What is a facial X-ray?
A facial x-ray is a series of pictures of the bones in the face. X-rays are a type of electromagneti...
What is an x-ray?
Brigham and Women's HospitalBrigham and Women's Hospital
X-rays use invisible electromagnetic energy beams to produce images of internal tissues, bones, ...
What should I ask my doctor about angiograms?
SecondsCount.orgSecondsCount.org
The following questions can help you talk to your physician about having an angiogram. Print out or ...