What is a venogram?

A venogram is a procedure that provides x-ray visualization of the veins, particularly in the lower extremities (legs). A special dye is injected that is visible upon x-ray. The contrast dye allows the physician to evaluate the size and condition of the veins. A venogram is one of the more accurate tests used for diagnosing deep vein thrombosis (DVT), but can also be used to diagnose other abnormalities.

Continue Learning about X-Ray Imaging

Why would a radiologist need multiple x-rays?
Regional Medical CenterRegional Medical Center
There are a variety of reasons—from technical problems to fidgety patients—why x-rays may need to be...
What is defecography?
NewYork-Presbyterian HospitalNewYork-Presbyterian Hospital
Defecography is an x-ray of the anorectal area that evaluates completeness of stool elimination, ide...
What can I expect during a barium enema x-ray?
Brigham and Women's HospitalBrigham and Women's Hospital
At the time of a barium enema examination (an x-ray procedure to examine the lower gastrointesti...
Do I need x-rays or other images taken for phantom limb pain?
In general, diagnosis is made based on a person's report of their symptoms and history, and sometime...