What is a spine x-ray?

Spine x-rays are pictures of the bones of the spine that are used to diagnose diseases or to view the extent of an injury to the spine. X-rays are a type of electromagnetic radiation. In an x-ray procedure, a machine sends x-ray radiation through the body or head to create pictures of internal structures projected onto a computer screen or onto film. In those pictures, dense structures, such as bones, show up white because they absorb the x-ray particles, while less-dense structures, such as muscles, show up gray or black.

Spine x-rays can be helpful in diagnosing:
  • osteoporosis (brittle bones)
  • abnormal curves of the spine
  • bone spurs
  • fractures
  • cancer
  • infections
  • dislocations
  • disc disease
There are four different types of spine x-rays, depending on which area of the spine is being x-rayed:
  • A cervical spine x-ray is a scan of the seven cervical bones in the neck.
  • A thoracic spine x-ray is a scan of the 12 chest (thoracic) bones.
  • A lumbosacral spine x-ray takes pictures of the five bones of the lower back (lumbar region) and the sacrum at the base of the spine.
  • A sacrum/coccyx x-ray takes a detailed view of the sacrum at the base of the spine and the four bones that make up the tailbone (coccyx).

Continue Learning about X-Ray Imaging

Does radiation pass through the walls of radiology rooms?
Society of Interventional RadiologySociety of Interventional Radiology
The radiation emitted in medical procedures has a limited range and duration of effect, and the exte...
How much radiation am I exposed to with an x-ray?
John Randolph Medical Center - HCA VirginiaJohn Randolph Medical Center - HCA Virginia
A chest x-ray exposes you to the equivalent of 10 days of background radiation.
Do I need x-rays or other images taken for phantom limb pain?
In general, diagnosis is made based on a person's report of their symptoms and history, and sometime...
When do I need a chest x-ray?
Brigham and Women's HospitalBrigham and Women's Hospital
Chest x-rays may be used to assess heart status (either directly or indirectly) by looking at the he...