What is defecography?

Defecography is an x-ray of the anorectal area that evaluates completeness of stool elimination, identifies anorectal abnormalities, and evaluates rectal muscle contractions and relaxation. During the examination, the patient's rectum is filled with a soft paste that is the same consistency as stool. The patient then sits on the toilet positioned inside an x-ray machine, and squeezes and relaxes the anus to expel the solution. The physician studies the x-rays to determine if anorectal problems occurred while the patient was emptying the paste from the rectum.

Continue Learning about X-Ray Imaging

Why would a radiologist need multiple x-rays?
Regional Medical CenterRegional Medical Center
There are a variety of reasons—from technical problems to fidgety patients—why x-rays may need to be...
What is a sinus X-ray?
Paul M. Ehrlich, MDPaul M. Ehrlich, MD
Also known as radiographs or roentgenograms, sinus x-ray tests may be done in the office or at a hos...
When do I need a chest x-ray?
Brigham and Women's HospitalBrigham and Women's Hospital
Chest x-rays may be used to assess heart status (either directly or indirectly) by looking at the he...
What should I ask my doctor about angiograms?
SecondsCount.orgSecondsCount.org
The following questions can help you talk to your physician about having an angiogram. Print out or ...