What is an intravenous pyelogram (IVP)?

An intravenous pyelogram or urogram creates a picture of your kidneys, ureters and bladder. A dye is injected into your bloodstream through your arm. The dye is excreted through the kidneys and collects in urine, allowing an x-ray to reveal the structure of the kidneys and ureters and any areas where fluid may be escaping or is blocked.
Intravenous urography (IVU) and pyelography (IVP) are different names for x-ray examination of the kidneys, ureters, and bladder. This test yields information about the function of the kidneys, the presence of stones in the urinary tract, and the passage of urine from the kidneys, ureters, and bladder.

Continue Learning about X-Ray Imaging

When is a hip x-ray necessary?
National Athletic Trainers' AssociationNational Athletic Trainers' Association
X-rays are usually taken after traumatic blows to the hip. Falling on the hip, or even falling h...
What is a barium swallow?
Barium swallow is the process of getting x-ray pictures of the esophagus or the upper gastrointestin...
When do I need a chest x-ray?
Brigham and Women's HospitalBrigham and Women's Hospital
Chest x-rays may be used to assess heart status (either directly or indirectly) by looking at the he...
What can I expect during a barium enema x-ray?
At the time of a barium enema examination (an x-ray procedure to examine the lower gastrointesti...