What is a radionuclide angiogram?

A radionuclide angiogram is a test used to gather images of the heart throughout its pumping cycle. You may also hear it referred to as a MUGA scan (multigated acquisition scan) or blood pool scan. The test can help assess how well your heart is pumping by measuring what is called the “ejection fraction,” the amount of blood that is pumped out of the heart’s two lower chambers (the ventricles). Generally, a healthy ejection fraction range is 50-70%. The test can be used to determine damage from a heart attack or chemotherapy, for example. A radionuclide angiogram may be performed at rest, or you may be asked to exercise to “stress” the heart.

Continue Learning about X-Ray Imaging

What should I ask my doctor about angiograms?
SecondsCount.orgSecondsCount.org
The following questions can help you talk to your physician about having an angiogram. Print out or ...
What is the difference between radial and femoral angiography?
Dr. John C. Lipman, MDDr. John C. Lipman, MD
Angiography is the study of arteries and/or veins. Femoral and radial angiography refer to the point...
When is an x-ray necessary?
Dr. Nancy Calsolaro SmulskyDr. Nancy Calsolaro Smulsky
X-rays are used to confirm and assist healthcare practitioners to make a diagnosis and to inform car...
When do I need a chest x-ray?
Brigham and Women's HospitalBrigham and Women's Hospital
Chest x-rays may be used to assess heart status (either directly or indirectly) by looking at the he...