What can I expect during an arthrogram x-ray?

During an arthrogram x-ray:
  1. You will meet with a radiologist (a resident may also be present). You will be asked why the examination has been requested and whether you have any allergies. The radiologist will explain the procedure to you.
  2. You will be positioned on the x-ray table and asked to maintain the position.
  3. Local anesthesia (similar to Novocain) will be injected into the joint. This may burn momentarily but will numb the area within a few minutes.
  4. Contrast, air, and (sometimes) adrenaline will be injected into the joint.
  5. The radiologist will use fluoroscopy (a set of x-rays in real time) to monitor the flow of the injected materials. The technologist will take a set of x-rays when the radiologist is finished.
The entire procedure takes approximately 45 to 60 minutes

Continue Learning about X-Ray Imaging

Who performs the chest x-ray test?
A chest x-ray is performed by a radiologic technologist, a medical professional who is also sometime...
How much radiation am I exposed to with an x-ray?
John Randolph Medical Center - HCA VirginiaJohn Randolph Medical Center - HCA Virginia
A chest x-ray exposes you to the equivalent of 10 days of background radiation.
What are the risks of an angiogram?
Dr. John C. Lipman, MDDr. John C. Lipman, MD
Angiograms are very safe. There are very rare risks in undergoing an angiogram. In rare instances, a...
What is a skull X-ray?
A skull x-ray is a series of pictures of the bones that surround the brain, including the facial bon...